The John Percival Leadership Award 2017

2017 Winner Announced – Paul Jones:

We were very proud to once again announce the winner of this years John Percival Leadership Award at the 2017 Monaco Yacht Show.

Paul Jones was the worthy winner following his nomination by ex-colleague Christian Greenwood, who began working with Paul in 2011. Christian told us:

“Paul is an ex-fisherman, so had an old school method about doing things, but they were always done with safety being the priority. He would figure things out on the spot better than anyone I have ever worked with. I had the pleasure of working with him on many trips and I could see how he had developed into who I’d class as the best Master I would ever have the chance to work for. He would spend as much time needed to go through things with the crew to make sure they knew what was happening or was going to happen. I think I learned more with him than anyone else I worked with. For me, there is no greater leader. As far as I am aware, he has moved on from being a Master to become a Superintendent and even though I no longer work for that company, I know Paul will be looking after the boys.”

Once again, this year we received some very strong entries for this prestigious award and would like to thank all of those people who invested time in making a nomination, and recognising the hard work of their fellow crew.

“Commitment to Training, Commitment to Crew”

Captain John Percival was an ambassador for on-board training and encouraging investment in a yacht’s crew.

JPMA, the yacht training centre he founded, aims to promote high standards in all levels of crew, in all departments, inspiring students to return to their vessel emboldened and ready to nurture junior crew.

In his memory, the John Percival Leadership Award was created, to reward crew members, at all levels, who personify that ideal. The award is now in its fourth year.

Calling all crew – do you have a true leader on board?

Does your Bosun guide you in your career decisions, sharing knowledge and recommending courses?

Does your Engineer explain what goes on within the engine room, letting you shadow engine room checks?

Does your Chef share tips and techniques, encouraging crew to expand their culinary knowledge and abilities?

If so – tell us!

Email mate@hss.ac.uk explaining why a member of your crew (past or present) deserves to be the recipient of the 2017 John Percival Leadership Award.

The award will be presented during the 2017 Monaco Yacht Show, so please send your nomination by Friday 29th September.

Photos courtesy of Edward Windeler-Bennett