What Are the Requirements for a Master less than 200gt CoC?

The MCA have brought out the Master (code vessels <200gt), OOW (Yachts less than <500gt) CoC for those who hold a Yachtmaster Offshore or Yachtmaster Ocean, and would like to hold an MCA Master CoC.

There are 2 variants of the Master <200gt: ‘Limited to 150 miles from safe haven’ & ‘Unlimited area’.

If you hold the Yachtmaster Offshore CoC, you will get the limited Master <200gt CoC, if you hold the Yachtmaster Ocean CoC, you will get the unlimited Master <200gt CoC.

If your final aim is to achieve the Master <500gt or Master <3000gt CoC, you will need to have the OOW <3000gt CoC before you can move on to the Master CoCs.

In order to gain a Master <200gt CoC, you will need to do some classroom training, some sea service, and finally an oral exam.

Required Service:

You need to have 6 months of sea service on vessels of any size, whilst holding an RYA Yachtmaster Offshore or IYT Master of Yachts Limited certificate.

Sea Service Verification Process – please click here to read about new regulations.

The courses you must undertake for Master <200gt are:

STCW Basic Safety Week certificates (PST or RYA Basic Sea Survival/PSSR/Elementary First Aid/Basic Fire Fighting)
RYA or IYT Yachtmaster Offshore or Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased & Practical certs (either sail or power). These need to be Commercially Endorsed
NOTE: you don’t need to have a shorebased Yachtmaster certificate if your Yachtmaster CoC was issued before 31st July 2003
GMDSS ROC (if YM Offshore is used) or GMDSS GOC (if YM Ocean is used) certificate
ENG1 Medical certificate
Human Element Leadership & Management (Operational) certificate

Updating Training for CoC applications– anyone serving on board ship, who holds any of the following certificates must, as of 1st January 2017, have documentary evidence of either completing the training course or updating training within the last 5 years:

  • Personal Survival Techniques
  • Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats (CPSC & RB)
  • Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (PFRB)
  • Basic Fire Fighting
  • Advanced Fire Fighting

Applying for an NoE:

To do the final oral exam for Master <200gt, you will need a Notice of Eligibility. This document is issued once the MCA have assessed your eligibility, and an oral exam cannot be booked until the NoE is issued.

Your service needs to be proved with 2 forms of evidence for each vessel on which you are claiming service time. Usually a Testimonial and a Certificate of Discharge. If you have a discharge book, this can be used with a testimonial for each vessel, or if you are a member of the PYA they will attest your PYA logbook.

You must send a form of ID with your application. You can send a copy of your passport, signed by your Captain and with their CoC number noted, but you can also send any form of National ID – birth certificate or Discharge Book are usually easier to cope without!

Click here to view MSN 1858 (the testimonials and certificate of discharge can be found as annexes of the M Notice on pages 33-37)

Update to Electronic NoE application process & online oral exams

You will need to download the application form. You must complete the form and send all of your original certificates to the MCA.
The NoE will be processed in about 28 days. Once the NoE is issued you are deemed eligible to take the oral exam.

JPMA offers oral preparation courses for the Master <200gt oral exam. Click here for details.