What are the Requirements for a Y2 CoC?

The Yacht Engineer CoC route is being phased out.

Yacht NoE applications are no longer being accepted by the MCA.

If you already hold a Yacht Engineer NoE, it will remain valid for use until its expiry date. JPMA continue to offer oral prep courses for the Yacht oral exams

Your written modules must be in date at the time of your CoC application.

In order to gain a Y2 CoC, you will need to do some classroom training, some yacht and sea service, and finally an oral exam.

Candidates may submit an application for a Letter of Initial Assessment if they already hold a large amount of yacht/sea service, or non-yachting certificates or have apprenticeship or other employment experience. To be assessed you must download and submit the relevant application form

NOTE: Updating Training for CoC applications– anyone serving on board ship, who holds any of the following certificates must, as of 1st January 2017, have documentary evidence of either completing the training course or updating training within the last 5 years:

  • Personal Survival Techniques
  • Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats (CPSC & RB)
  • Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (PFRB)
  • Basic Fire Fighting
  • Advanced Fire Fighting

The courses that you must undertake for Y2 are:

General Engineering Science I certificate¹
General Engineering Science II certificate¹
Applied Marine Engineering certificate
Advanced Hotel Services & Ship Construction certificate (only required if you did the Y4 version of Auxiliary Equipment. If you undertook the SV modules at Y4/3 level you do not need to undertake this course)
Chief Engineer Statutory and Operational Requirements certificate (if you hold the Y3 CoC already, you will not be required to retake this module when applying for Y2)

Human Element Leadership & Management (Management Level) certificate

¹ NOTE: if you hold a relevant engineering qualification (degree, HND/HNC or equivalent) you may be eligible for exemptions from General Science I & II, click here to apply

Required Service:

You must prove 24 months service as a yacht engineer, on yachts of 350kW or more in propulsion power, which must include at least 12 months actual sea service whilst holding a Y4 CoC


15 months service as a yacht engineer, on yachts of 350kW or more in propulsion power, which must include at least 9 months actual sea service whilst holding a Y3 CoC


if you hold any Merchant Navy engineering qualifications, flow charts on pages 22, 23 & 24 of MSN 1859 show the entry routes for this CoC

Information about Service:
The qualifying yacht service must be performed in the engineering department. In the case of a dual role Engine⁄Deck candidate, half of the service is counted.

Yacht service is counted as the time spent on the vessel and excludes leave and other non-working time. At least 6 months of the yacht service must be within the 5 years preceding the application.

Yard & refitting time is accepted as yacht service, but is limited to 90 days. This cannot be counted towards actual sea service.

Actual sea service must be in the engine department onboard yachts, and is only applicable when you are actually at sea, on passage. A minimum of 4 hours or working duty in 24 hours would count as 1 full day of actual service.

Sea Service Verification Process – please click here to read about new regulations.

Applying for an NoE:

To do the final oral exam for Y2, you will need a Notice of Eligibility. This document is issued once the MCA have assessed your eligibility, and an oral exam cannot be booked until the NoE is issued.

Your service needs to be proved with 2 forms of evidence for each vessel on which you are claiming service time. Usually a Testimonial and a Certificate of Discharge. If you have a discharge book, this can be used with a testimonial for each vessel, or if you are a member of the PYA they will attest your PYA logbook.

You must send a form of ID with your application. You can send a copy of your passport, signed by your Captain and with their CoC number noted, but you can also send any form of National ID – birth certificate or Discharge Book are usually easier to cope without!

It should be noted that written exam pass certificates have a validity of only three years. If your module pass certificates are more than 3 years old when you apply for an NoE you will have to submit new pass certificates to the MCA before they will issue an NoE. This excludes Y2 General Engineering Science I & II.

This is all laid out in MSN 1859 (the Engineer testimonial and Certificate of Discharge can be found as an annex of the M Notice on pages 28, 29 & 30)

Update to Electronic NoE application process & online oral exams

You will need to download the NoE application form. You must complete the form and send all of your original certificates and testimonials to the MCA.
The NoE will be processed in about 28 days. Once the NoE is issued you are deemed eligible to take the oral exam.

JPMA offers oral preparation courses for the Y2 oral exam. Click here for details.