Small Vessel 2nd Engineer (Limited to Yachts) CoC

The MCA has introduced a 2nd Engineer <9,000 kW/<3,000 GT Small Vessel Engineering CoC restricted to Yachts, to provide a pathway for experienced seafarers working within the Yacht sector to progress through the SV Engineering structure. This is detailed in MIN 594  

Getting Started – Yacht/Sea Service & Training Record Book:

To obtain a 2nd Engineer Small Vessel CoC restricted to Yachts only, you must contact an MCA-approved training provider to obtain a Training Record Book. To obtain a Training Record Book you must meet the following requirements: 

  • 24 months yacht service on vessels of at least 200 kW, which must include a minimum of 6 months actual sea service;
  • Hold an Approved Engine Course I & II (AEC I & II);
  • Hold basic STCW safety training certificates (less than 5 years old, or updated);
    • Personal Survival Techniques (STCW Code A-VI/1-1);
    • Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (STCW Code A-VI/1-2);
    • Elementary First Aid (STCW Code A-VI/1-2);
    • Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (STCW Code A-VI/1-4).

Once you have obtained a Training Record Book, in addition to meeting the above requirements you must complete the following requirements to be issued with a Notice of Eligibility (NOE) to sit an MCA Oral examination:

  • A further 11 months yacht service on vessels of at least 350 kW, which must include a minimum of 4 months actual sea service;
  • Completion of SV Training Record Book during this sea service;
  • 2 Weeks MCA-approved initial Workshop Skills Training followed by; 2 weeks actual sea service on yachts of at least 350 kW or 2 weeks of MCA-approved additional Workshop Skills Training.

The courses that you must undertake for this CoC are:

You must also have a valid ENG1 Medical certificate.

If you are yet to receive any of these certificates, you can still apply for the NoE, but you will need to submit the certificates to the MCA after you have undertaken your oral exam

¹ NOTE: if you submit an Advanced Sea Survival/Restricted PSC&RB certificate, your CoC will be endorsed as follows: “not for use on ships equipped with davit launched lifeboats”

Your oral examination will be for Second Engineering Officers on Small Vessels less than 9000 kW, less than 3000 GT, unlimited area, III/2, but your certificate will carry the following limitation: “Less than 9000 kW, less than 3000 GT, Unlimited Area, limited to Yachts”.

Calculating Sea Service

Please note: The sea service rule (1.5 x while underway) specified in MIN 524 cannot be used for calculating service towards a Yacht only restricted 2nd Engineer CoC.

Actual sea service is defined as time spent on board a ship, relevant to the issue of the certificate or other qualification being applied for. Sea service must be in the engineering department reckoned from the date of engagement to the date of discharge. At least 6 months of the qualifying sea service must have been performed within the 5 years immediately preceding the date your application is received by the MCA.

A month is defined as a calendar month or 30 days if made up of periods less than 1 month.

Sea service may be performed on vessels of any flag.

Sea service must be performed on vessels proceeding to sea. Proceeding to sea means, beyond the categorised waters around the coast of the United Kingdom or beyond the harbour limits for waters outside the United Kingdom.

At least 75% of the required sea service must be performed while the vessel is underway on sea passage. Sea service (steaming time) will be calculated from the sea service testimonials.

A minimum of 6 months of your seagoing service must be spent performing engine room watchkeeping duties or UMS duties. This duty can be performed in a subsidiary capacity

Sea Service Verification Process – please click here to read about new regulations.

Applying for an NoE

To do the final oral exam, you will need a Notice of Eligibility. This document is issued once the MCA have assessed your eligibility, and an oral exam cannot be booked until the NoE is issued.

Your service needs to be proved with 2 forms of evidence for each vessel on which you are claiming service time. Usually a Testimonial and a Certificate of Discharge. If you have a discharge book, this can be used with a testimonial for each vessel, or if you are a member of the PYA they will attest your PYA logbook.

You must send a form of ID with your application. You can send a copy of your passport, signed by your Captain and with their CoC number noted, but you can also send any form of National ID – birth certificate or Discharge Book are usually easier to cope without!

It should be noted that written exam pass certificates have a validity of only three years. If your module pass certificates are more than 3 years old when you apply for an NoE you will have to submit new pass certificates to the MCA before they will issue an NoE.

You will need to download the NoE application form. You must complete the form and send all of your original certificates and testimonials to the MCA.
The NoE will be processed in about 28 days. Once the NoE is issued you are deemed eligible to take the oral exam.

Removing the Yacht only restriction and Progression

Holders of SV CoCs restricted to Yachts only may apply for an upgrade to an SV CoC when they meet the applicable sea time requirements listed in MIN 524 (sections 3.4).  They can then progress down the SV route following the requirements listed in sections 3.6 and 3.7 of MIN 524. These will remain restricted to yachts unless the full sea time requirements for the applicable SV CoC can be met.

The rule in MIN 524 (section 4.8) for actual sea service performed on Yachts can be applied when removing the Yacht only restriction or progressing to a SV Chief Engineer CoC once this restriction has been removed:  

“Seagoing service performed on yachts where for considerable periods the main propelling machinery is not used, will reckoned as one and a half (1.5) times the number of days actually spent underway. In no case can this exceed the total time served under a company contract. Seagoing service testimonials must state the number of days actually spent underway with the main propelling machinery in full use”.

JPMA offers oral preparation courses for the Small Vessel Engineer oral exams. Click here for details.